Book Recommendation - Positively Penelope

 

Pepper Basham is steadily gaining traction as a go to rom-com author for me.  Of the books of hers I've read, the Skymar books are my favorites. Set in epistolary style, the books follow the Edgewood family and their correspondences with each other. I've really enjoyed the family dynamics portrayed in these books and the sarcasm and humor found within. Though I've never coined the term "book boyfriend" personally before, that may be changing as I find myself crushing a bit on Luke Edgewood, the grumpy sarcastic big brother. (He reminds me a great deal of my husband, so there's that). Every time Luke responds to a text or email though, I found myself in a fit of giggles. I don't honestly know that I've ever laughed out loud so much in one book as I did this one. This book will definitely be a contender for "top read of 2023" for me. This is book 2 in the Skymar series, but can be read on its own. Fans of the first book, Authentically, Izzy will be familiar with the Edgewood family personalities, the fictional land of Skymar and the overall writing style. Here's a bit about the book:

Told mostly through letters, texts, and email, this contemporary romance will charm its way into hearts as Penelope rescues a theater and discovers her true self in the process.

Penelope Edgewood is practically positive in every way, so when, fresh out of college, she is awarded a paid internship to help save a century-old theater on the island of Skymar, she jumps at the chance. After all, a crumbling theater needs the special touch of someone who reveres all things vintage and adores the stage.

Unfortunately, not everything is as it seems at Darling House Theatre. Finances are in shambles, the local theater group is disenchanted, and the two brothers, Matt and Alec Gray, can’t seem to see eye-to-eye about how to run their theatrical business. So, of course, it’s the perfect place for Penelope to shine her own personal brand of sunshine.

With a little help from GK, the person emailing her encouragement along the way, she puts all her heart into helping the Grays save Darling House. But between Matt’s ever-present skepticism, Alec’s tendency to treat Penelope a little too much like the “princess” she thinks she wants to be (until someone actually started treating her that way), a grandfather who is stuck in his grief, and a mysterious person stealing Penelope’s marketing ideas, she’s not sure her optimism is enough to make a happily-ever-after of her own story, let alone The Darling House’s.

Between an adorable little girl, a matchmaker, a sea monster or two, and a copious amount of musical references, can Penelope draw enough confidence from her faith, her family, and her adoration of all things Julie Andrews, to find the thief and save the theater . . . without getting her heart broken in the process?

Because I follow the author on social media, I've got some extra "scoop" to share with you. Ms. Basham lost her dad quite suddenly last year. Her dad was her biggest cheerleader and read all of her books (including this one - it was the last one he read), but when reading he would frequently text her about how "Rambo" should come and save the day. It was a running inside joke between them. There's a part in this story where she pays tribute to her dad when Luke suggests how Rambo could come and save the day. It made me a bit misty-eyed when I read that part, as well as making me chuckle. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. If you're not a fan of epistolary novels or stories that change voice periodically, you may want to set this aside though, as it does venture back between epistolary and story mode. I feel like the transitions were well marked and fluid, and it better told the story than fully in one mode or the other, but I've seen reviews from others who differ with that. 

This book releases August 1, 2023 wherever books are sold. Be sure to grab your copy! I, for one, am REALLY looking forward to Loyally, Luke, coming next year! Squee! For more information, check out the following links:

Pepper Basham's website: https://pepperdbasham.com/

Pepper Basham's Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/pepperbasham/

My full 5-star review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/5247142638

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Recommendation - The Curse of Misty Wayfair

Welcome to Isaiah’s Legacy Blog Hop – Stop # 24

Book Recommendation - Voice of the Ancient